SUGARBUSH/GMVS SKI CLUB
U14 PROGRAM (athletes born 2006-2007)
The U14 Program further develops ski racing technique and tactics while continuing to hone basic technical skills. U14 skiers split their time between all-mountain skiing, working on technical drills and exercises outside of gates, and gate training. This primary in-gate focus is on giant slalom and slalom. We also introduce super-G training at this age level.
Follow us on Facebook– GMVS Ski Club Facebook Page
Looking for ski equipment? Check out the Ski Club Equipment Swap on this website and/or go to Facebook Ski Swap
INFORMATION ON U14 PROGRAM
Ages:……………………………………………….U14 (DOB 2006 & 2007)
Start-End Dates: …………………………..December 7th, 2019 – March 28th, 2020
Training Hours Weekend: ……………8:30am – 2:30pm, Saturday & Sunday
The U14 Program introduces ski racing technique and tactics while continuing to develop basic technical skills. Groups split their time between all-mountain skiing, drills, and gate training. At this level, the skier will discover and develop individual skiing and racing styles.
- Learning to learn — Racers learn how to systematically develop their skills through repetition and experimentation. Learning to constructively respond to feedback and coaching is one of the most important skills acquired during the U14 years.
- Carved turns with smooth transitions and no skidding.
- Introduction to slalom skiing, including quick turns, gate contact and clearing, and tactics.
- Giant slalom turns and tactics.
- Introduction to Super-G, including basic speed techniques, such as tuck turns and skiing terrain at speed, as well as choosing an appropriate line.
Young racers are transformed during their U14 years. Racing becomes a bit more serious. After the first two races, U14 racers are seeded according to their results. Also, racers can qualify for the state championship racer series, and at States, racers can qualify for the Eastern Regional Series. Racers are strongly encouraged to focus on improving their technique as a foundation for future results instead of focusing on current standings. A goal of the U14 program is to help racers learn to enhance the constructive aspects of competition and to minimize the distracting parts.
The following provides overview highlights of the Program’s curriculum. Should the more detailed curriculum be desired, please contact the Head Coach.
* Dryland training
* Drills to master basic techniques
* Video analysis
* Race preparation training
* Equipment preparation training
* Equal time distribution throughout the season of free skiing, drills, and gate training.
Approximate distribution of time on-hill:
|Coached Free Skiing||25%|
|Coached Free Skiing Drills||30%|
|Coached Gate Drills|
|Coached Gate Training/ Race Training||45%|
U14 Equipment Requirements
GS and SL skis
SG skis optional
Full side zipped snow pants
Poles: 2 pairs, one GS pole and one SL pole w/ with slalom guards.
FIS approved Helmet(new rule 2016) (No soft ear helmets allowed for GS)
and slalom chin guard.
Slalom shin guards
Back protector (strongly recommended)
The Sugarbush/GMVS Ski club will communicate with families through TeamSnap, which utilizes both text messages and email.